Gemstone to Jewellery Magic: Choose a stone, explore ways to set it, design and make a gem of a jewel – 10 Week Course (Evening, Wed).
– What is your favourite gemstone? How would you choose to wear it? Your stone of choice is most beautiful to see when the jewellery element has been well designed to best show the gem. On this 10 week jewellery course we explore ways to combine stone setting and design techniques to make magic!
What will I learn?
The course is presented in 2 projects that develop technical skills while also encouraging experimentation and design development.
To begin, you’ll get to choose a gemstone from our selection. This will then be the source of inspiration for your designs.
- Project 1 – Choose a semi-precious gemstone. Then design and make a necklace (or ring) that incorporates your gemstone.
- Project 2 – Design and make a bracelet or earrings to match.
Is this course for me?
Whether you’re exploring jewellery for the first time, or a seasoned pro, we structure our Wednesday evening courses to suit all levels of jewellery making skill.
Beginners: By the end of this course you will know how to
- Set your gemstone of choice, using the rub-over technique. Design a piece of jewellery that highlights your gemstone. Cut, shape, texturise, form, file and polish metals like copper and silver. Permanently join 2 or more elements together using traditional silver soldering techniques. Meanwhile, you will have designed and made 2 pieces of jewellery with gemstones, that work together as a set.
Advanced: You may wish to use this term’s theme to further enrich your own skillset. In this case we encourage independent project work. So, complementary to the above, you will have the opportunity to
- Claw-set your gemstone of choice, and forge a bar or form a sheet of your preferred metal (copper, silver, gold) to best match your jewellery design.
Course code: G35
Course Tutor: Vicky Forrester
Max student numbers: 12 students
Suitable for: All levels of skill, beginners to advanced.
Course Dates: 15 January – 25 March 2020
Half term break – week of 17-21 Feb
Class Times: Wednesday evenings, 6.15 – 9.15pm
Course Fee: £295
Materials Kit : Basic materials are included.