3 Ways to Make a Silver Ring: Introduction to jewellery making (Evening, Wed).
– This is a fantastic introduction to jewellery making! We’ll show you 3 ways to make a silver ring. In the process you will explore how to texture cut, bend, shape, solder and manipulate metal using traditional jewellery making tools and techniques.
What will I make?
You will make a minimum of 3 rings, along with some test pieces that explore texture and technique. Additionally, you have the opportunity to design and make a pendant, also with a stone.
The course is presented in 3 projects that develop technical skills. The projects also encouraging experimentation and design development.
- Experimental approaches to texturing and pattern making on metal; make a silver wrap-around ring
- Forging techniques – design and make an open, forged and shaped silver ring
- How to measure for a ring, and basic soldering skills; – make a well-fitting textured silver band
- Extension Project – Design and make a matching pendant
What will I learn?
By the end of this course you will know how to cut, file and polish metals like copper and silver. You will also know how to texture metal using pressing, punching and hammering techniques. You’ll have permanently joined 2 or more elements together using traditional silver soldering techniques, and you will have forged wires into unusual and unique forms. You will have lots of test pieces in copper and aluminium, and additionally you will have designed and made 3 rings in silver.
If you finish all the ring projects we’ll set you a final task to design and make a matching pendant.
Max student numbers: 12 students with 2 tutors.
Course Dates: 20 September – 22 November 2017
Class Times: Wed eves, 6.15 -9.15pm for 10 weeks
- Full fee £260
- Concessions £221
Materials Kit : Included
Up to 10g of silver will be included in the fee. Additional material can be provided at cost.
Course code G28