Explore ways to bend, stretch, crease and distort sheet metals like copper and silver. Design and make a small vessel in copper or silver.
– On this 10 week course you will experiment with metal manipulation techniques including scoring, fold forming and raising to create 3D form from sheet metal. To this end we present you with a series of short, open ended projects that explore how to manipulate sheet metal into varied form using hammers and stakes, mallets and punches. Then using your experiences, you will design and make a small vessel (or similar) that best exploits your favoured technique.
Your projects include:
- Scoring – Make at least 3 three dimensional forms by scoring and folding sheet
- Fold forming – Fold, crease, unbend and stretch sheet metal to create at least 3 three dimensional forms
- Raising techniques – Use hammers and stakes to create up to 3 three dimensional forms
- Extension project -using your findings as a basis, design and make a small vessel in copper or silver.
By the end of this course you will know how to:
Shape metal to create complex 3D forms using a range of techniques
And you will have produced a reference / sample board of pieces that explore
Note: this course is free flowing and experimental in nature and you are encouraged to explore ways to exploit and further extend processes. You may choose to focus on your favourite process or you can experiment with all of them, and it is anticipated that every student will have a unique set of outcomes.
You can use these metal manipulation techniques to explore new ways of working. However if you have other specific projects in mind, you can choose to continue to work on these instead. Your tutor will always aim to facilitate your requirements.
Course Dates: 16 Jan – 20 March (No half term break)
Materials Kit : Basic materials are included.
Class Times: Tuesday mornings, 10am – 1pm
Max student numbers: 10 students
The tutor for this course is Vicky Forrester
Would you like to stay for the day? We also offer a Tuesday Extra package that gives you 4 hours of follow on time in the studio to work on your own projects. Read more here
Course Fee: Standard: £260 / Concessions: £221 / Tuesday Extra £430